Monday 24 September 2012

It's good to talk...?





After an exciting and stimulating weekend spent celebrating the F's Birthday, I came back down to Earth today with a mild hangover and an early rise for my first 'focus for therapy' session at my local psychotherapy unit. This was basically one of four fifty minute sessions which involve talking through your troubles, what's bothering you, what's hindering you, and working out the things you'd like to deal with when it comes to your   real sessions.

So I braved the pissing rain for the 30 or so minute walk, and met with my (also female) assigned therapist. Now, I don't know about you, but I always seem to lose the capacity to say exactly what I mean and mean exactly what I say at these things. She probed with a load of questions to prompt me, but compared to my usual abilities to talk for England, I was mute. I also found myself so churned up that I started worrying that I must sound like I was absolutely fine, something and nothing, or that I was a lost cause and they'd decide I wasn't suitable for psychotherapy anyway.

Laying your present and past history out for a complete stranger isn't much fun. And people with mental illness have to do that a lot, many times over, so each sodding individual therapist, psychiatrist, social worker and mental health nurse can make their own notes. About you. Where do they all go, those notes? I dread to think how many tomes about my life exist on dusty shelves all over London and Berkshire thanks to my mental ill health.

They also ask questions which, if I knew the answer to, I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. This week was all about current worries, how I see myself, and what my major issues are. Next week its onto the past. Oh joy. It'll be fun trying to squeeze that into 50 minutes. I jest a little, of course. I'm more than grateful that the local CMHT have gotten me these sessions so quickly (quickly in the the scheme of the NHS, anyway) and that the therapist herself seems like a nice sort. Even if she was sat a comically great distance from me during proceedings.

It's not the first time I've had therapy or counselling, of  course. I've had DBT, a special combination of group and one-on-one talking therapies aimed specifically at those with BPD. It didn't do much for me as turns out that's not my primary issue, but it stopped me wanting to harm myself quite so much, which is hardly a bad thing. I also began intensive psychotherapy at the Tavistock in London a couple of years ago. I waited over ten months to get an NHS spot there, and then a month after beginning to pour my heart out three times a week, I went hypomanic, and AWOL, thinking I was utterly sane and having a wonderful time of it. I didn't know this was hypomania then, but in hindsight that therapy wasn't really for me: it involved laying on an actual couch, like in the movies. If you've never done it, there's nothing weirder, at least when it comes to talking therapies...

So here I am at the start of a new chapter, wondering what the next few sessions will bring and what therapy they might decide is best for me. Now I just have to stick at it...

What are your experiences of talking therapies? Has anything worked for you? 

6 comments:

  1. I had counselling through the uni for about 1.5 years in total. pretty much every week. it was a good place to offload everything that was going on. we didn't really come up with strategies for recovery or ways of dealing with things. I guess it was more about stability for me (cus I have abandonment issues). I miss my counsellor, she was good to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that has been my issue with therapy in the past - a lack of consistency. I either find it hard to stick to things or I've been turfed out and feel like I just need to struggle on alone. Perhaps I'll find it this time? Have you considered starting up with one again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, to really get anything out of it, first you have to trust the person. it took me up until the last sessions to admit to some things. I guess it's not great when you only get 6 sessions or something as your quota!

    I had to leave because I'm no longer a student, but my counsellor recommended someone that I should get in touch with. I also do writing therapy once a week, and tbh that's the most helpful thing I've tried. I seem to process things when I write them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who do you do writing therapy with? I've never heard of it tbh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! I struggle same as u to open up in therapy session,hard telling a stranger about intrusive thoughts and other mental health issues which make me feel very ashamed! I clam up & feel very vulnerable! I find the best relief is writing everything down but have to say relief is temporary! for me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading and for the comment Kimmie. Shame is a big issue for me too in therapy, even though I guess it shouldn't be, easier said than done! I'm finding that writing about my experiences, on the blog, helps me process my emotions. It also leaves me feeling a bit raw, but I hope sharing my experiences helps other people in our situation. We're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete